Known for its good food, strong family values and being home to the fashion capital of the world, Italy is a beautiful country with strong traditions. Here is a selection of Italian quotes, phrases and sayings, with the English translations. Take some inspiration from our European cousins, and feel free to use these quotes on a t-shirt design.
Romantic Italian Love Phrases
Sometimes just stating your love and appreciation for someone in English just isn’t enough. Your loved one may be a lover of languages, or even Italian themselves, either way they will appreciate the effort of your expression of love in beautiful (maybe slightly broken) Italian. We can’t help you with the pronunciation, but we can provide the Italian quotes.
- Ti amo- I love you.
- Sono pazzo di te- I’m crazy about you.
- Sei la cosa più bella che mi sia mai capitata- You’re the best thing that ever happened to me.
- Mi sono innamorato di te- I’m in love with you.
- Voglio passare il resto della mia vita con te- I want to spend the rest of my life with you.
- Mi sono perso nei tuoi occhi- I’m lost in your eyes.
- Sei la mia anima gemella. – You are my soul mate.
- Resta con me per sempre- Stay with me forever.
- Farei qualsiasi cosa per te- I would do anything for you.
- Mi sono infatuato/a di te. – I’m infatuated with you.
- Potrei guardarti tutto il giorno. – I could look at you all day.
- Non posso vivere senza di te- I can’t live without you.
- Dammi un bacio. – Give me a kiss.
Timeless Life Anecdotes
Your favourite quotes about life, but said in beautiful Italian. These classic phrases ring true no matter what language they are said; they are applicable to everyone.
- Il Mattino Ha l’Oro in Bocca – The Early Bird Catches the Worm.
- Ai Mali Estremi, Estremi Rimedi – Desperate Times Call for Drastic Measures.
- Finché C’È Vita C’È Speranza – While There’s Life, There’s Hope.
- Ride Bene Chi Ride Ultimo – He Who Laughs Last, Laughs Longest.
- Nulla Nuova, Buona Nuova – No News Is Good News.
- Meglio Tardi Che Mai – Better Late Than Never.
- La Pazienza È la Virtù dei Forti – Patience is a Virtue.
- Chi Non Fa, Non Falla – He Who Makes No Mistakes, Makes Nothing.
Italian Sayings On Friends And Family
Family and friends are an integral part of everyday life, especially in Italian culture. It is not uncommon for extended families to live together. Therefore, there is no surprise that there are multiple Italian quotes all about these connections.
- Chi Trova un Amico, Trova un Tesoro – He Who Finds a Friend, Finds a Treasure.
- L’affetto verso i genitori e fondamento di ogni virtu. – Loving one’s parents is fundamentally the greatest virtue.
- Una buona mamma vale cento maestre- A good mother is worth a hundred teachers.
- Quale il Padre, Tale il Figlio – Like Father, Like Son.
- Noi Non Potremo Avere Perfetta Vita Senza Amici – We Couldn’t Have a Perfect Life Without Friends.
- Chi si volta, e chi si gira, sempre a casa va finire.- No matter where you go or turn, you will always end up at home.
- Amor di madre, amore senza limiti. – A mother’s love has no limits.
- Tra Moglie e Marito Non Mettere il Dito – Never Interfere Between a Husband and Wife.
- A ogni uccello il suo nido è bello- Every bird finds his own nest beautiful. This is the Italian equivalent to “home sweet home.”
- Il sangue non e acqua. – (Literally) Blood is not water, so “Blood is thicker than water.”
Food And Life Go Hand In Hand
And finally for the most important Italian quote topic: Food. Good food and a good life go hand in hand. So here are some classic food related Italian quotes to feed your appetite.
- Non tutte le ciambelle riescono col buco- Not all doughnuts come out with a hole.
- Essere buono come il pane- To be as good as bread, means to be a really good person.
- Vestirsi a cipolla- To dress like an onion, meaning to dress in layers.
- Tutto finisce a tarallucci e vino- It all ends with biscuits and wine. Meaning all’s well that ends well.
- L’Appetito Vien Mangiando – Appetite Comes With Eating.
- Non capire un cavolo- To not understand a cabbage, meaning to not understand anything.
- Tutto fa brodo- Everything makes broth, this means every little bit helps.
- Fare polpette di qualcuno- To make meatballs of someone.
- Far venire il latte ai gomiti- To bring milk to the elbows, meaning to bore someone to death.
- Capitare a fagiolo- To happen at the bean, meaning perfect timing; to come at the right time.
Italian Quotes On Personalised Garments
With the new phrases and expressions you have learnt, why not (literally) adopt them into your everyday life? Take your favourite Italian quote onto your very own T-shirt. Milan is the fashion capital of the world, therefore, it is only fitting that you would take your favourite Italian quote onto your very own handmade T-shirt. Add images from your travels to Italy, your favourite Italian dishes or even images of your dearest family and friends, to create a personalised T-shirt worthy of it’s own runway.